The Hand Center of San Antonio wishes everyone a very Happy, and safe, Fourth of July!
As we look forward to time with family and friends, backyard barbecues and spectacular firework shows, we would like to take this opportunity to talk about firework safety.
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a professionally organized and conducted fireworks demonstration. However, if you decide to use fireworks yourselves, please keep these safety tips in mind:
- Always read and follow the manufacturer's safety instructions
- Never ignite an exploding device while holding it in your hands, even if it is designed to shoot in a single direction (the device can malfunction)
- Stand far away from the devices once they are lit
- Never pick up or re-light "duds"; they may still be active and could explode in your hand or face
- Never point or throw fireworks at each other
- Never combine multiple fireworks together; many small fireworks can add up to the destruction of a larger device
- Never place fireworks under other objects; the shrapnel can explode and cause facial or eye injuries
- Consider eye and ear protection
- Never leave minors unsupervised
Fireworks can be fun to watch, but when used improperly, they can lead to irreversible injuries that can change the rest of your life. Please, remember to always exercise caution.
For more information, see the infographic below.